Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Martha Stewart wasn't that good a mother.


So as I threw away the second burned batch of sweet potatoes I was trying to make into baby food for my six month old son,it donned on me, why am I doing this when I can buy perfectly good food in a nice neat container for the exact same price(or a fraction more) as it cost to make it myself. Not to include the cost of my sanity. I can store it in the cabnet and don't have to worry about throwing it away if it's sat in the fridge too long.
He's still not sleeping through the night, which means neither am I. SO needless to say there are times throughout the day I'm a slightly more funtional than a coma patient. I tend to forget a lot.
I try to be the Stepford/Martha Stewart house wife I so secretly want with matching sheet sets and towels. Dish clothes that don't have stains, or any thing that doesn't have some sort of orange puke on it. I pride myself on a clean house(just don't look too close) and can't go to sleep if there are dishes in the sink. I have slight panic attacks every time I have to feed the baby with a spoon, because I know what a sticky mess it's going to make and I hate when my hands get that dirty, I know I'm a OCD freak(oh and have I mentioned we don't own a high chair yet, so he's fed in the living room in a Bumpo seat. If you don't know what one is consider your self lucky and you probably still have a life, nice shoes, a figure in the single digits and you still get "Laid")
So back to what I was saying, I could make the food from scratch, it's better for them, blah blah. I have to surrender this battle. Give up my title as the mom that can do it all, and buy (dare I say) store bought baby food. God bless all those moms who can do it. And thanks for all the "Best Baby puree" books, but their getting stored on the shelf next to my Zone cookbooks.
I've come to grips with the insane part of my brain, the one that tells me it's more important to do dishes, sanitize bottles and and wipe down the counter over my child's screaming fit. Put Down the magic bullet blender filled with bananas and breast milk and pick up the baby who's turning beat red from crying and read him a story. And if he's hungry later open that vacuum sealed pack of sweet potatoes (Organic of course!)